Thursday, September 11, 2008

Update with Karen Sagun

Hey folks, check out my recently updated portfolio website, www.KarenSagun.com. It took me a while to finish it, and I am proud that it's finally up online.

While I was going through my files in my external hard drive, like going through an old box in your attic, I found a few things that brought back some happy memories. It's time for show and tell:














I made this set of t-shirts for my first Art Foundation Studio class. I was totally into t-shirt design, and this was one of a few designs that I intended to contribute to an intended t-shirt business with my two friends, Jason and Will. We never jumped off with our business due to school and distance (at the time we all went to three different colleges). However, not only did we create designs, but we also made a logo, which is what you can see on the orange tag on the blue shirt on the left. It is a rendering of a light bulb with an "E" in place of the bulb. The "E" stands for Ethics which was what we intended to name our business. We intended that our t-shirts designs to acknowledge (and therefore spread awareness of) social issues important to us. This design acknowledges pollution and it's negative effects on the environment. It is a simple and modern image of brown ooze and/or a dying tree.

This just reminds me of how important design and social consciousness was to me even before I entered the VCU graphic design department (where it seemed everyone there was socially aware). When I reached the GDES program, I felt so at home.

2 comments:

will conlu said...

man i remember ethics. i still love the concept and am finally comfortable with the name (took me awhile haha) but no doubt this is put on hold but we should bring it back. lets do what francis was sayin and start doing creative weekends!

rawralyrawr said...

hey! i saw your new site. it's awesome! oh, but i saw a spelling error on your actionscript interactive site ("often" was spelled as "ofthen") =/ but hey! if you're still interested in doing the whole apparel design thing let me know. i wanna have my own line one day, & i'm somewhat getting a gist of how things get started.